13 de Junio de 2016
- Publicado en EMPLEO
Network Opportunities for Sharing – June 2016
- 1. OPPORTUNITY OF THE MONTH - SURVEY: What is the role of peer review and the issues facing it? In the runup to Peer Review Week in September this year we’re highlighting this most critical and often critical, and often undervalued, function in academic endeavor, using microbiology as a case study, together with the UK’s University of East Anglia and our publisher, Oxford University Press, we’ve created a short questionnaire (it takes less than 10 mins) on peer review to get an idea of who’s doing what and why. It would be great if you could complete the survey – any time before Thursday 30th June Thanks very much for your time, on behalf of FEMS, UEA and OUP
- 2. PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
- At the third IAAASS a representative of Gilead and IRBM will join the meeting and they will chair a bio-tech round table entitled “working in a company after PhD”, to help all the students to have a wider perspective about future work decisions. This month, you can still apply for this Summer School, which provides an informal and interactive environment to review the application of HTS techniques to identify novel and clinically significant antiviral drugs. The Summer School is aimed at researchers at an early stage in their career, combining examples of drug discovery from internationally-recognized experts in the field. To apply: http://www.fondation-merieux.org/advanced-course-on-antibiotics-adcab or contact email@example.com.
- Ellen MacArthur Foundation: Louise Vet discusses the importance of life sciences in the next wave of entrepreneurial innovation. Watch the video here.
- Did you know we have a section on Professional Development in FEMS Microbiology Letters? Look here for articles or to submit
- 3. VACANCIES: International job vacancies and volunteer assignments recently advertised at FEMS:
- The RAND Corporation, a research organization that develops solutions to public policy challenges, is advertising for a Research Group Director: Innovation, Health and Science. The role involves acting as a senior leader within RAND Europe, delivering both group and organisation wide business objectives, whilst also actively contributing to research. To access this opportunity, please visit FEMS job pages
- A range of volunteer assignments. Please contact FEMS@fems-microbiology.org.
- Looking for a career in bioscience? Leiden Biosciencepark now has over 60 vacancies, varying from Biomarker Lead HIV to Associate Director R&D.
- 4. EVENTS:
- Lithuanian Microbiological Society and Vilnius University will organize the3rd Congress of Baltic Microbiologists (CBM2016), Vilnius, Lithuania, October 18-21, 2016. Detailed information is available at the CBM2016 website http://www.cbm2016.gf.vu.lt/. Previous meetings have been held at Riga (Latvia) and Tartu (Estonia) to tighten the bonds between microbiological societies in the Baltic region and fuel the further collaborations. The congress covers wide range of microbiology-related subjects including diversity, microbial physiology and molecular biology, biotechnology and has had participants from several countries of the region: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finand, Poland, Russia, Denmark, Germany, Norway. Interested scientists from other regions are also very welcomed. Due to the budget-friendly fees the grad students and young scientists are especially encouraged to join the meeting and present their research.
- INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE ON FOOD MICROBIOLOGY AND HYGIENE since 1953 organizes the 2nd WPAEFM symposium “Food microbiology education in practice” at 25th ICFMH Conference “FoodMicro” 2016 Dublin on 19th July 2016. For all details please visit http://www.icfmh.org/activities_wpaefm.php
- 5. RESOURCES:
- Free Software: EPO IPscore: IPscore is a FREE software to evaluate patents, technologies and research projects. It allows you to analyse, visualise and document the strengths and weaknesses of patents and research projects. With IPscore you can evaluate patent portfolios, individual patent applications and granted patents, analyse complex patented technologies and assess research projects before filing a patent application. Find more information here.
- Researcher Resource: EURAXESS - Researchers in Motion - is a unique pan-European initiative providing access to a complete range of information and support services to researchers wishing to pursue research careers in Europe or stay connected to it. Find information and research positions at EURAXESS via http://ec.europa.eu/euraxess/index.cfm/jobs/index
- 6. FUNDING: Calls for interest to develop a COST-action proposal on the human microbiome theme: following last month’s initiation of a new Funding Network within FEMS, there is interest in identifying and connecting researchers to discuss and potentially propose a COST-action on the human microbiome theme. Interested parties to contact Alessio.Mauageri@fems-microbiology.org.
- 7. AWARDS: FEMS and Oxford University Press (OUP) have teamed up to offer a €1,000 award plus special marketing attention for the best MiniReview accepted by FEMS Microbiology Letters in 2016. The award particularly recognizes the importance of collaborative work in both multidisciplinary research and the knowledge development process. Multi-authored reviews are encouraged.